The Right Side of History

A collection of writings that attempt to connect the meaning of the major and minor events and distractions of today to a broader philosophy of life that tries to strip away the non-sense, spin and lies to reveal something that is closer to truth.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

We need to realize that we are all prisoners and the prison guards are ourselves. I am trying as hard as I can to divorce myself from my ego and this materialistic nightmare we have created and in the process awaken my spiritual self.

Watch My Videos!!

Click Picture PromoPaid WebPromoWhy PromoTeedo To View
Click Picture Kramer To View
Click Picture Arteries1941 URMyGirlWebPromo2 To View

Friday, July 21, 2006

Straight...No Chaser



KURTZ: Are you an assassin?


WILLARD: I'm a soldier.


KURTZ: You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.

from Apocalypse Now (1979)


7/21/06


I’ll be brief.

I just checked my balance on my Chase “ultra rewards” Master Card and found out I was $94 over my credit limit. I don’t really remember using that particular card recently so I decided to choose the “Most Recent Transactions” option on the automated touchtone menu these masters of customer service offer. Three times the inhuman computerized female voice said there was an “internal debit” of 30 some odd dollars charged to my account.

Since I really had no idea what that meant…well that is not entirely true, I figured it meant I was getting screwed…I immediately pressed the “speak to an associate” phone digit which, of course, was zero. Someone in a surprisingly clear unaccented voice came on almost immediately…again surprisingly…and identified herself as Patricia.

This is what followed:


Male


Just what exactly are these charges called internal debits?


Female


Those are our fees and interests.


Male


But can you explain them…EXACTLY?


Female


Sure. The first one...for $14.82...is the interest on your purchases. The second one for...$36.13...is the interest on your cash advances and the third one is an overlimit fee of $39 because your balance went over your credit limit.


Male


How did I go over the limit?


Female


The interest charges put you over the limit.


Male


So, you are telling me that you charged me about $50 in monthly interest which put me over the limit. THEN you charged me an overlimit fee that basically doubled the amount. So Chase is hosing me. THAT is what you are telling me...right?


Female


Yes.


Male


Out of curiosity, what is my interest rate right now?


Female


You are right now at a variable rate which is currently 29.2%.



No comment. No editorializing. I am too pissed.

To put it simply, if you can not see the borderline criminality in this situation then there is nothing else I can say.

Larry B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home