The Right Side of History

A collection of writings that attempt to connect the meaning of the major and minor events and distractions of today to a broader philosophy of life that tries to strip away the non-sense, spin and lies to reveal something that is closer to truth.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

We need to realize that we are all prisoners and the prison guards are ourselves. I am trying as hard as I can to divorce myself from my ego and this materialistic nightmare we have created and in the process awaken my spiritual self.

Watch My Videos!!

Click Picture PromoPaid WebPromoWhy PromoTeedo To View
Click Picture Kramer To View
Click Picture Arteries1941 URMyGirlWebPromo2 To View

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Vox and Robbers



5/31/2006


Now you’re talking!

I have been hearing much passionate debate over the last couple of weeks between many concerned citizens. In the subway cars, there is talk of voter fraud. On the elevators, there is outrage over illegal election results. Throughout the cubes, loud heated arguments about performance are bellowing through the air.

I have to admit, the vibrant aura was exciting and I immediately tried to join in. I agreed that it was an outrage that the current Administration started a war on false pretenses. I said that I was dismayed that the Republican controlled legislature suspended the right of Habeas Corpus. And most recently, the Atty. General is debating with lawmakers legislation that will give the government power to prosecute and imprison journalists and reporters if what they write is deemed detrimental to our “National Security.” What is detrimental to our National Security, of course, will be determined by the government.

I think Nixon used this argument when he tried to hide the Watergate Tapes.

No matter. What is particularly disturbing is that the idea of targeting journalists is actually being contemplated although the Bill of Rights clearly states:


Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.



It’s the first one.

Come to think of it, every other element of that paragraph is being trampled on so why the hell should I care?

When I voiced these opinions, instead of the "right on" fist pumps or "fuck you" facials, I was met with mostly dull glances and mouth agape disinterest. After panning the disengaged or annoyed faces, and a few uncomfortable seconds of cold sweat and crickets, I realized what my error was:


They weren’t talking...well, yelling actually...about the Government. They were shouting about the Fox Network talent contest American Idol.



I better get with the program!

So, in that vein, here is an article that was forwarded to me about my pop-culture du jour, Bono of U2. I know I am beating a dead horse here but I promise this is the last time I will bring up the Lucky Charms Leprechaun on this Blog.

I feel that this incident/interview illustrates perfectly what my objections are to the self proclaimed humanitarian:




Vox


Bono hails Cohen genius

U2 singer Bono has proclaimed Leonard Cohen as the "original rapper" and has confessed to stealing lyrics from him.
The Irish frontman made the comments at a preview of the forthcoming film 'Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man', which offers an insight into the life of the acclaimed poet, novelist and songwriter.

Bono said: "He's an extraordinary talent, and anyone who's interested in music has got to be interested in him.

"He's the original rapper, you know, if you're interested in hip-hop. He's a sexy man who made sexy music, who made music asking questions about God and girls and everything."

The singer also admitted to stealing the lyrics to U2's 1991 hit 'The Fly' ("It's no secret that a conscience can sometimes be a pest/ It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success") from Cohen's 'Everybody Knows'.

"I think the obvious one is 'The Fly,' " Bono admitted. "It's a couplet device from Leonard. There's many more that I would never admit.

"I feel all kinds of unusual feelings in his company - like humility and modesty.

"Very few people walk this particular piece of ground that Leonard Cohen walks, and I'm aspiring one day to get close. I know I'll never get there."

from - Virgin Music News




A friend of mine, after reading this, made a very good point. He asked why Mr. Vox did not make his theft ("the obvious one") of Cohen’s lyrics known at the time. That was in 1991 and U2’s popularity was reaching a crescendo. If Bono truly thought, "(Cohen is)...an extraordinary talent, and anyone who's interested in music has got to be interested in him." Then why did he not want to turn on his millions of fans to his music? Not only were these fans probably uninterested, but they possibly never even heard of Cohen. What a grand opportunity for the pied piper to use his fame to shine a light on a much deserving artist and possibly making the world a better place in the process.

But that, of course, didn’t happen.

Instead of giving Cohen credit, Bono accepted all the accolades and awards for the critically acclaimed and extremely popular song. Instead of sharing the spotlight with the song’s co-creator, Bono spent his time amassing obscene piles of cash and "...counting them dollar bills…ONE HUNDRED…TWO HUNDRED!!!" Instead of showing any emotion remotely, "...like humility and modesty," Bono’s transparent lust for adoration sang from the highest mountain tops and echoed in the deepest valleys.

It is the epitome of selfishness.


(By the by, did you notice how I did not take credit for someone else’s idea up there? How quaint!)



But also, the crux of my complaint is Bono’s whole tone. Although he uses very deferential words when describing Cohen, if you read between the lines, Bono makes it sound like Cohen should almost be grateful for the "homage" or at least he does not have a hint of "guilt" when discussing what is essentially a crime.

Instead of being honored, I’m picturing Cohen’s reaction upon hearing of Bono’s "tribute," back in 1991 to be something like:


THAT COCK SUCKER DID WHAT!?!



Interestingly enough, U2 started out as a Christian rock band back in the late 1970s and early 1980s before taking a more mainstream turn. There still is a definite Christian thread running through their work. With lyrics like "You broke the bonds/loosed the chains/carried the cross on my shame/on my shame/but yet I'm still running" the single I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For off The Joshua Tree album is the most obvious example.


Map

Bono Vox and The Edge (center, bearing cross)
and Adam Clayton (left, with cat and nine tails)
with groupies at the 'Joshua Tree' album rap party
Malibu, CA - 1987




So I have no doubt that Bono and definitely The Edge, possibly even the drunk and the other guy, believe there is a Heaven and all of the great dead artists that he mimics, compares himself to or blatantly rips off, are looking down on him and giving their approval.

Believe me if there is such a place, artists like Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, Billie Holliday, John Lennon, George Harrison, Bob Marley even Frank Sinatra are not glowingly giving a nod to the rape of their legacies. They’re more likely patiently waiting. Waiting for Bono’s arrival.

When that time comes, this group will stand at the Pearly Gates. John Lennon will be the first soul to greet the dearly departed. He will shake hands and keep eye contact. After these pleasantries are exchanged, John will casually mention that he once heard the U2 classic "God Part II."

And then Lennon is going to take it out of Bono’s hide.

The pummeling will continue for a long time with the only sound being the reinforcing cheers of “Go Johnny! Go Johnny!” from the rest of the bunch...along with the soothing melodic plucking of a distant harp.

Or as my father use to say,


You’re going to reap just what you sow.



Made it up himself.
At least that’s what he told me.
Larry

3 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

Hi Larry,
I sometimes get annoyed at Bono and U2 and I think we share some of the same uneasiness when it comes to these guys. For my part, I'm nervous about pop stars, actors, etc. who use their fame as a pedestal from which to spout their often misguided beliefs about world events. This is one reason I've remained a Stones fan for so long--they know and we know, and they know that we know, that they're in it for the money and the babes. That's what rock has always been about! So, even when the Stones put out a shitty album, I'm comforted that at least Keith isn't embarassing himself 'schmoozing' with hungry kids in the Congo or some fucking place.
Having said that, however, I think you're being a bit too hard on U2 on the 'plagiarism' thing. This type of thing has long been a common and accepted practice in rock 'n' roll. It's only nasty when you try to hide it. Also, I found your inclusion of Elvis and George Harrison among those waiting to 'punish' Bono somewhat ironic. Elvis, great as he was, was a white guy ripping off black music. George, as we all know, was sued (and lost) for turning "He's So Fine" into "My Sweet Lord".

6/02/2006 3:53 AM  
Blogger Larry B said...

Hey KyKlops

Although it is heinous, it is not the plagiarism part that struck me about this article that made it worthy for posting. It is his whole attitude that gets me going. He is too quick to put himself in league with iconic historic figures. Is Bono an icon? That is for us to decide…not for him.

I included Harrison because I believe The Edge thinks that who he is, “The silent Beatle.” As I told my friend, when U2 breaks-up, and I understand bands really don’t officially do things like that anymore, but if they do, The Edge is not releasing a triple record set of songs he wrote over the years that the rest of the group thought were not good enough for any of their albums.

Bono Vox and The Edge are probably good people. I just don’t admire them.

I said enough about these guys so, as I promised in my post, I will not mention either one of them again. I said my piece, made my case and expressed my opinion. Take it for what it is. I don’t want to sound petty or vindictive.

Thanks again for reading!

6/02/2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with you about the Bono/icon stuff. Re: the Edge--much as I like a lot of U2's music, the Edge will never be in the same league as countless other guitar players. George was the lead player for the Beatles. I've never heard the Edge play a fucking guitar solo. That's his sound, and that's fine. But, a rock icon he ain't, nor ever will be until he loosens up a bit...

6/02/2006 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home