The Right Side of History

A collection of writings that attempt to connect the meaning of the major and minor events and distractions of today to a broader philosophy of life that tries to strip away the non-sense, spin and lies to reveal something that is closer to truth.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

We need to realize that we are all prisoners and the prison guards are ourselves. I am trying as hard as I can to divorce myself from my ego and this materialistic nightmare we have created and in the process awaken my spiritual self.

Watch My Videos!!

Click Picture PromoPaid WebPromoWhy PromoTeedo To View
Click Picture Kramer To View
Click Picture Arteries1941 URMyGirlWebPromo2 To View

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Hey Everybody!! Paula Abdul Is Human...Let's Crucify her!

5/5/2005


Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a prude. If you are familiar with some of the other postings on this blog, you know I can be as tasteless, bawdy and low brow just as the next guy. But this quote from page two of the New York Post today has somehow really offended me.

Abdul

Capable of having sex?




Evidently there is a scandal brewing at the Fox Television mega-smash show “American Idol” where, it seems that a second season contestant, Corey Clark, received special coaching and had a hot and steamy love affair with one of the judges, the ex-Mrs. Emilio Estevez, Paula Abdul. This Corey Clark guy’s “bombshell interview” appeared on a special one hour ABC “PrimeTime Live - American Idol Exposed” last night. Needless to say if this were to be true it would be, at best, a conflict of interest and, at worst, out right fraud. With “American Idol” being Fox’s highest rated show and somewhat of cultural phenomenon, this has the making of a big news story.

I am, of course, in the enviable position of not really giving a flying fuck.


But here is the passage that caught my eye:



Clark says he and Abdul “began kissing passionately and feeling each other as we moved across the upstairs to the guest room.” He says he was in awe the first time he slept with the 40-year-old former pop star.

“That night, as we were having sex, I kept flashing on her videos and thinking ‘Oh, my God! I’m doing it with Paula Abdul,’ “he says. “But I kept my cool and I did my thing.”


Ugh…



1) The childish attitude of this passage, and the tone of the entire article, towards human sexuality, something everyone does at least once in their lives (Yes, even Catholic Priests), is simply appalling. Supposedly adults write and read this stuff and yet it is on the level of two pre-school children playing doctor behind the woodshed.

2) The culture of celebrity and the “I nailed someone famous” type attitude, this clown displays (At one point, in the interview, he says, “The worst part about the whole affair was I couldn’t brag about it to my friends.”) gives you a nice snapshot at where we are as a society. Our values and priorities are more than screwed up, they are completely upside down. And before you say the old stand-by cop-out, “That’s just the way it is” ask yourself this question, which came first, the chicken or the egg?

3) “But I kept my cool and did my thing.” What the hell does that mean? I have sat here for 25 minutes thinking about it and I still can’t figure that ridiculous statement out. At first, I thought possibly this guy was totally into some kind of fetish and, I must admit, I gained a little respect for this joker at the thought. Maybe “his thing” was dressing in a crotchless Little Bow Peep costume while Abdul, donning an old-school sheep-skin coat, baa's orgasmically at the moment of “being found.” As the coup de grace, the looped rhythmic hooks of “Straight Up” plays through an absurdly expensive sound system, whose rich sounds permeate the living room of Abdul’s gaudy, decadent mansion on the outskirts of Beverly Hills.


But, alas, he probably meant something much more pedestrian. He was probably suggesting something like, “I gave it to her good. I got mines. I’m a stud. I’m a real man.” I seriously suspect, if they gave this guy any more face time, he would probably tell you the size of his penis.

And there is the source of my despair. I ask myself, how are WE, as a country, as a culture, as a species, going to move forward if we view one of the basic functions of human life in such a selfish, ass-backwards way?

I know, I know…That’s just the way it is.


The score so far:

Huge, Souless Corporations: 1329
Little Guy: Nil

Sixth Army

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul O'Connell said...

Yes I also don't give a flying fuck about the American Idol "controversy"

But the passage that jumped out you didn't bother me at all. If I were in a similiar situation I probably would have been thinking the same thing. As far as him saying "I did my thing", well after all it's just fucking. Such is the way with sex in situations where people are close together(work, school, church, the local Star Wars fan club) I'm not appalled. People get together and fuck and have childish attitudes. Sometimes it's just hot tawdry lust and maybe other times it's love or what they think is love. And others still put a notch on their bedpost. That's the way it is.

Sure this guy probably would brag about his penis. But the thing you didn't mention is that after this "bombshell" interview on ABC, his tell all book became available for purchase on line. So he's just sleazily making a buck. The fact that Fox executives are investigating this is laughable to me. All this will do is give more attention to an already popular show. They really must be enjoying it.

Are any fans going to shun this show because of certain improprieties of Judge Paul Abdul or any other judge? No they won't. After all it's not like, let's say a supreme court judge spending a weekend with a defendent in a case that was before the court where said judge and defendent can talk about the best ways to present the case or talk about certain rewards for finding in favor of the defendant. Now that would be a call for outrage.

5/05/2005 4:50 PM  
Blogger Larry B said...

Yeah, you're probably right...about EVERYTHING DAMN IT!

That article just struck me, almost an "Eureka" moment on how silly The Post, and people in general, can be sometimes. Have you been following the other IMPORTANT story of the week...The Runaway Bride?

Well, The Post decided that really inane inconsequential story deserved a FULL WEEK of page one or two coverage. Today the article stated, and this is an exact quote:

"...the reason why the Duluth woman ran is because she wasn’t ‘getting any’ according to friends.”

Unbelievable

5/06/2005 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home