The Right Side of History

A collection of writings that attempt to connect the meaning of the major and minor events and distractions of today to a broader philosophy of life that tries to strip away the non-sense, spin and lies to reveal something that is closer to truth.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

We need to realize that we are all prisoners and the prison guards are ourselves. I am trying as hard as I can to divorce myself from my ego and this materialistic nightmare we have created and in the process awaken my spiritual self.

Watch My Videos!!

Click Picture PromoPaid WebPromoWhy PromoTeedo To View
Click Picture Kramer To View
Click Picture Arteries1941 URMyGirlWebPromo2 To View

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Berg Is Back In Town




11/9/2005

So the election results are in: Bloomberg buys a landslide!!!

There was no real surprise in this outcome. Most people look at Bloomberg as a no-nonsense guy who is not doing a bad job so why change horses? Certainly, nobody gave the voters any reason to.

Napoleon

Mayor Michael Bloomberg



I, personally, was resigned to another four years of Shit-Berg once the Democrats put up that meat-puppet Ferrer a man the party machine bosses had the audacity to call a viable candidate. Maybe Ferrer is popular in the back rooms of smoky “social clubs” where the only civic things going on are sleazy pay-offs to bought-and-paid-for local councilmen, “No-Limit Hold-Um” tournaments involving bosses with their bank rolls made up of union pension fund money and, of course, robust cock fights. But to the general electorate who don’t have fancy “no-show” or “show/no-work” jobs, he was a complete bust out.

But yet, about three in the morning, I found myself laying in bed, staring at the shadow play dancing upon my ceiling with the only sounds in the room being the garbled nonsensical static of late night all-sports-talk radio crackling out of my antiquated clock/tuner…and my inconsolable weeping.

I was trying to figure out just exactly how I fucked up my life.

I kept asking myself, over and over again, when was that precise moment, what was that specific decision or indecision that I made or didn’t make that produced results like this? How could I have avoided the fate that finds me in a cube, financially decimated, completely enslaved by The Man, socially alienated from a society that makes little or no sense to me and, most importantly, feeling there are no prospects on the horizon that would make me believe that the situation will ever change? My night was, yet again, devolving into a paralyzing introspective nightmare, complete with large doses of guilt, shame and anger. In these bouts, too frequent as of late, with insomnia, helpless and hopeless are recurring themes. One I am trying to unsuccessfully avoid.

In between the loud bawling, the uncontrollable shaking and the serious dissertations on the New York Football Giants, I, for some reason, began to smile. Against all odds, all of a sudden, something became very clear to me. I stopped feeling sorry for myself and realized that there is at least one thing I can feel hopeful about. That one thing is the role of Religion in modern day society.

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!

That's right. Religion.

No, I did not find Jesus in my despair and despondencynor have I met Allah, Jehovah, Odin or Zeus either. And, before you jump to any conclussions, I have not lost my sanity.

So get them panties out of your crack and listen up and let me explain.



Although this Mayoral election was a sick twisted joke, a mock-fest to anybody who has any sense of what a Democracy could and should be, there is one thing that I can look at with a great deal of pride. Not once did the subject of belief in Jesus Christ as our Savior come up. Not once was Bloomberg asked to expound on his “personal relationship” with the Son of God or how he believes “faith” has to be factored into civic duty.

BRAVO!!!

And this has nothing to do with the fact that Bloomy is Jewish so obviously has no relationship with the carpenter who died 2000 years ago because Ferrer, a Roman Catholic, did not make it a theme either. No big deal, right?

Wrong.

Think about any election campaign that has any kind of national significance. Think about how much wheel spinning and placating to religious nuts and fanatics goes on. Clowns like John Kerry, an obviously intelligent man, feels as if he had to be in a Church photo-op while he discussed foreign policy and gun control. Both the Democratic and Republican conventions were loaded with speeches peppered with slogans like “With God’s help,” “God on our side,” and “God Bless America.”

If it is a national election, we have to witness the ridiculous spectacle of a hateful, misanthropic, misogynistic little man like Pat Robertson being treated like a statesman and a “Man of God” instead of the straight-up asshole that he really is.

In a national election, we have to actually debate and discuss the idea of teaching Creationism over Evolution seriously instead of pointing out that the “controversy” is completely ridiculous and that anyone wanting to teach Creationism as Science is truly stupid just because we don’t want to offend anyone.

And before you start saying that the rest of the country is more religious than New York City I say think again Kemosabe. I believe the actual “faith” in these religious beliefs has absolutely nothing to do with the character of our local elections as compared to the local elections in Bubble-Slam, Tennessee. I believe it is New York’s cosmopolitan tradition that makes our elections usually devoid of crass religious piety.

To say that this city is not religious is a fantasy. There are HUGE pockets of hardcore faithful of every major religion on this planet living in the five boroughs. I personally know at least three Bush type born agains, two Mel Gibson strict Roman Catholics, three “got to get home before sun down” Jews, two reincarnation Buddhists and one Koran reading Muslim. And I don’t even get out much!

What do all these New Yorkers I mention have in common?

Their FAITH, a word thrown around in this nation pretty damn regularly by people who usually want to fuck you over, is actually strong and internal. They have no need to convince you of anything. They seek validation of their beliefs from within and not through others. Their FAITH goes beyond telling others whose cock they can suck or what movies they can or can not see or what books are allowed or disallowed.

In other words, they truly understand the the core American principle of the Separation of Church and State.

So what I am grateful for is the fact that I live in New York City. A place that is loaded with corruption, graft and slime but a place that is also a beacon of hope, an example of enlightenment in a rapidly dimming land. A land being enveloped by hatred, willful ignorance and fear. A city that exemplifies the simple truth:

Religous freedom of worship will thrive under a secular government and can not exist under a religious one.


Hell...Just trying to be positive.


Larry


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one of the many media periodicals covering the political outcomes this past election, quoting Michael Bloomberg: "I couldn't make it more clear. I will work, GOD willing, for the next four years for this city as mayor and then go into the world of philanthropy for my next career." Obviously, by his above statement, he is a follower of God, and will inject his religious feelings into a statement he makes. The only difference being that in New York City, candidates know what to say and what not to say to the people, in order to hopefully get their votes. It can be positively said, though, that if someone running for a political office knows that he/she will garner votes by towing the religious line, they will do so. I don't think this has anything to do with New York City being a place where religion is not used for political purposes, because, as already stated, if using religion as a ways and means to garner votes, it will be used. It just so happens that local elections in New York City have a history of being non-religious. If the opposite was true, and New York City local elections had a history of putting forth religious beliefs during a campaign, then this would have been done. This is common sense thinking. I'm not premeditatively going against the thinkings of the author of this BLOG, as obviously, by his writings, he is able to feel inner peace amongst the many "demons" that seem to be plaguing him, but rahter I am trying to make a point that there is a reson for everything. In retrospect, I am saying that New York City is no different than any other demographic place on this planet; whatever needs to be said, especially during an election, will be said. Hence, New York City is not a place that people don't have the need to spout about their religious beliefs; it is just another place that is known that this spouting of religious beliefs doesn't need to be done. I am sure that, if given the unobstructed opportunity to do so, a person's religious beliefs would be layed bare to others to able to see, hear, hopefully understand, etc.

In a final comment, I am curious as to why the author of this BLOG would make a statement such as Bloomberg is not doing a bad job, and on the other hand consider this Bloomberg adminstration as being referred to as "Shit-Berg." This mayor obviously has been doing a good job as Mayor of New York City, so why would the electorate turn him out of office? And this has noting to do with his deep pockets, as I am sure that he didn't "payoff" the amazingly high number of "top" democrats who publically stated that they were voting for Bloomberg. Yes, he used his money to put these people on paid television/radio commercials, but so what? It was not his money that enabled him to be reelected the Mayor of NYC, although it did help when he needed to advertise.

So, "Bloomberg buys a landslide," has no bearing on this man being relected. Yes, he has the money to outspend his opponents, but don't you think that if there was someone out there who was considered "better" than this candidate, then such a person would have been put forth to challenge Michael Bloomberg? And if Michael Bloomberg was such a bad Mayor, (a conclusion that can be reached by common sense when one reads something like "Bloomberg buys a landslide"), then why wasn't somone put forth who could defeat this man? No, this has nothing to do with Bloomberg's money; rather it is a ranting about once again a Republican defeating a Democrat in an area that is overwhelming Democratic. The bottom line, that can be derived from this Blogger's writings, is that it is money that buys the populations' votes; there is no thinking on the part of an individual voter. The voters are "brainwashed" into voting for someone because a particular candiate outspent the challengers, has more money than the rest of the pack, and these voters don't actually listen to the platforms and the ideas of the candidates. In other words, the voters of New York City have been swayed to vote for the person who has more funds, and not for the person who has better ideas and goals for the City of New York. What choice did the people have will be the next question, between Bloomberg and Ferrar. But, then, in reality, if Ferrar was such a bad candidate, then it wasn't Bloomberg's money that enabled Bloomberg to be reelected. There's a lot more to this than explained in a Blog entry.

The better person won, with or without having more money than the other. And, as stated numerous times before, if religion was a contributing factor in running an election in New York City, (as stated by the Blogger as being strewn forth in national elections), then it would have been used. This stuff is not all made up. Things, issues, etc., are said and used when it is opportunistic to do so, and New York City is no different than anywhere else. If it needs to be said, it will be said. If not, such as the case with New York City elections, then it is not said. And if the people of New York City vote in favor of someone who has more money, as opposed to voting for someone who has better ideas, goals, etc., then I can honestly say that I wouldn't be "proud" to be an inhabitant of such a place.

11/10/2005 1:00 PM  
Blogger Larry B said...

I said that most people think he was doing a good job, I personally am ambivalent about it. Certainly he is competant and, most certainly, he is better than Ferrer, so I agree with you that the better man won. But for every "good" thing he did that you point out someone else could probably point to the "bad."

But lets look at this "mandate."

From the New York Daily News the day after the election:

"As of yesterday, his campaign had reported spending a staggering $66.3 million - which didn't even include the $249,765 tab for his swank victory party last night. For his 721,229 votes, he spent about $92 per voter."

Of course you will focus on the money in this statement but that part doesn't bother me. I don't care how much he spends. My "buys a landslide" line was a little attempt at a pun that didn't really work but if it makes you feel good about focusing on it as if that it is important, thats cool. I, on the other hand, try to go through life with a sense of humor.

What concerns me about these (unofficial) results is the actual number of people who voted for this guy.

721,229

The last time I looked there were 10 million plus people living here. So using real numbers that is considrably less than 10% of the population who actually "officially" support this man. But if you say 59% it sounds like a lot more. So you can say he is possibly the most popular mayor ever and I'm not going to argue with you, but in a very real sense, not that many people actually felt it was worth their while to actually get up off their asses and vote for him.

And, by the way, about my demons.

Yes, when I feel bad about this thing or that event strongly enough I feel it is appropriate to comment on it. I try to live my life openly and honestly because I think that is the first step into achieving some kind of truth. I feel if you try to repress your feelings or lie to yourself your kind of like a man out of synch, and all of those bottled up emotions come out in other ways that are not productive or healthy.

Maybe you should try it sometime.

11/10/2005 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home